Ever since the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into effect, businesses have been rigorously taking measures to ensure the privacy and protection of their customer’s personal data. To successfully become GDPR compliant, businesses have to enable their customers to exercise eight fundamental rights. These rights give customers a greater control over how businesses can collect, store and use their data.
Let’s take a closer look at these rights:
- Right to information – Customers have the right to know what personal information is being collected and processed, and the reason behind it.
- Right to access – Customers can request access to their data that is being processed and the businesses must provide the requested copy within a month.
- Right to rectification – When requested, businesses must correct customer’s inaccurate, incomplete, or outdated information.
- Right to withdraw consent – Customers can withdraw their consent at any time and businesses have to offer an easy way to do so.
- Right to object – Customers can object to the processing of their data for direct marketing.
- Right to object for automated decision making and profiling – Customers can ask for manual processing of their data to ensure that no potentially damaging decision is made in the absence of human intervention.
- Right to be forgotten – Customers can ask for erasure of their data. They can request the deletion of their data either verbally or in writing.
- Right for data portability – Customers can ask for copies of their data for reusing it across different services.
When you’re using Vtiger with the Privacy Guard add-on, you can comply effortlessly with GDPR by automating the process of obtaining, storing, and utilising your customers’ consents.
You can set-up a preference page which your customers can use any time to manage their consents and exercise their rights. With the preference page in place, the process of collecting your customer consents and managing rights requests is completely automated. For instance, when contacts object to processing of their data, Vtiger will automatically lock records and opt them out of your email campaigns, saving you the hassle of manual work, and the risk of not complying.
And when your customers want to exercise the right to be forgotten, they can do so directly from the preference page. Once the request is recorded, Vtiger alerts your company’s data controller who can them erase the data stored in the CRM.
Vtiger lets your customers manage their data and exercise their rights in a seamless manner, providing an experience unavailable with any other CRM on the market today. Not a Vtiger CRM customer? Sign up for a free trial today!
What challenges are coming in your way of GDPR compliance? Let us know in the comments section and we’ll try to find a solution for you.